Skateboards are great for traveling around the neighborhood, commuting to work, and taking to the streets. But how fast can a skateboard go?
There are so many things that go into determining how fast a skateboard can go, but the one thing that we can all agree on is that it depends entirely on how much force the rider puts into it.
The top speed that a skateboard can reach is still debated, but it is believed that the fastest speed a skateboard can attain is around 35 mph. In this article, we are going to be going over all the factors that determine how fast a skateboard can go, and we will also go over some tips to improve your speed and efficiency.
What is the average speed a skateboard can go?
The average speed of a skateboard will vary highly depending on the skill, muscle, wheel size, and weight of the rider. Generally speaking, the average speed that a skateboard can go will be between 8 to 15 mph.
They are different factors that will affect how fast a skateboard can go and we will explain those factors later in this article.
The Factors Affecting the Speed of a Skateboard
There are five things that affect the speed of a skateboard:
The design of the skateboard plays a big part in the speed of the board. A die-hard skateboarder will usually use a good quality deck, trucks, wheels, and bearings. These will all affect the performance of the board and how it speeds around.
The length of the deck is also important for the speed as longer decks will make for a faster board but it will also be heavier. Shorter decks are lighter and make for a faster but less stable skateboard.
Longboards are more stable and ideal for cruising, while shorter skateboards are more agile and capable of making sharper turns. Longboards are built to go downhill, while shorter skateboards are built for going uphill.
The Type of Wheels
Skateboard wheels come in all different sizes, shapes, and hardness and will affect the performance of the board.
The heavier you are, the more effort is required to propel you around. This means that you’ll need to put more power into pushing the board and it will slow down the board too. Heavier riders will find it harder to maintain speed, especially when going downhill.
The Surface You Are Skating On
Skating on an even surface is easier than skating on a rough surface. The topography of the land also affects the speed of the skateboard. Sloping downhills will be faster than going up steep hills.
Weight of Skateboard
The lighter the skateboard, the faster it will go. Lightweight skateboards are easier to push on the ground, and they have a higher acceleration rate. A heavier board will be more stable but will be harder to push around and will not be as agile. A lighter board can be pushed around easier but is not as stable.
Tips on How to Achieve The Fastest Speed Possible With Your Skateboard
There are a few ways you can try to get your skateboard to go faster. Here are some tips that you can try out:
- Longer Push: The longer your push duration is the faster your speed will be.
- Use Your Body Weight: Try to place more of your body onto the skateboard by leaning forward.
- Lean into the Curve: When you are turning or going around a bend, stay as low as you can while you do it. This will allow you to use your body to maneuver the skateboard and steer it through the curves. As you put more weight onto the side of the skateboard that is turning, it is easier to produce a faster speed with your skateboard.
- Improve Your Balance: The more balanced you are on your skateboard, the faster your speed will improve. You need to be able to balance on your board and be able to control it while you are turning and cruising. This will help you get your board to go faster.
- Aim for a Flat Surface: It is easier to go fast if you are skating on a flat surface. It makes it so you do not need to concentrate on turning your board. Instead, you can focus on your speed. This can help you go faster.
- Use Smaller Wheels: Wheels are one of the most important parts of finding your speed. Smaller wheels will make your board go faster.
A skateboard is an amazing tool for transportation. However, it’s not always the fastest form of transportation. There are many factors that affect the speed of a skateboard. It’s important to understand these factors in order to get the most out of your skateboard.
We hope our tips will be helpful to increase your speed and improve your skateboarding skills. We would love to hear your thoughts on this topic and any other skateboarding tips you have.
Thank You for reading!
Hi, my name is Eric and I live for skateboarding! I hope you’ve enjoyed this blog post? If you have it would make my day if you could share it with your friends and family. The more people I can get active and skateboarding the better. I’m here to help you think less and skate more so please keep following my work.